GuitarPCB.com

Guitar Pedal Projects. Top 5 in DIY With Forum Support!

Forums

Forum Home > Support - GuitarPCB Boards - Read rules below before posting. > Zenith Pro Mods

hank
I'm just curious about the Dumbly and Silver Jubilee mod's for the Zenith Pro. Are these devised from the overdrive circuit portion of each of these amps? I've owned and used a Silver Jubilee for years and believe that the foot switchable distortion is a solid state distortion circuit and I've never seen or heard a Dumble except on records. When these are designed as mod's , does the designer actually own a $25k+ Dumble or Silver Jubilee or is it just based on hearing one on a record or otherwise? Just curious from a design standpoint. Thanks, Hank
--
July 14, 2015 at 3:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Barry
Site Owner

OK, so for the basic part I think it is known that none of us owns or even heard a real Dumble in person, not at least where I live. So I think what most of the time pedals are sold based on what the Pros use and its kind of "If it is good enough for them (since they likely heard one) then it is good enough for me."

I never heard a real Klon either for the same reason.

So from a Buyers standpoint I think the first paragragh of this article sums it up very nicely. Notice they say Goop! Notice they have a lot of opinions. So again we are back to what do the Pros use that likely had an opportunity to play or own one of these amps?

Here is the link:

http://tonereport.com/blogs/tone-tips/dumbledorks-dumble-amp-in-a-box-pedals

Now there is plenty of info contained within and a lot of opinions. Very Subjective and likely many based on what others have used and liked.

From a design standpoint one can look at an amplifier circuit and simulate it with a pedal, Catbread is famous for doing this and while I can't say their RAH sounds like I just heard Jimmy Page at the RAH while playing the pedal, it may be a very nice simulation.

Look at how the amp works (schematic), gain stages, etc... and design that into a pedal IMHO preferrably using JFETs while simulating the tone controls to that of the amp.

Has anyone done this accurately with a Dumble?? I have no clue. They were gooped.

But I do know I like the sound of the Zenith Drive we offer and I love to mod it.

One of the Mods for the Zenith was done by a Master Amp Builder.

I hope some of that was interesting.  :)

July 14, 2015 at 7:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

hank
Barry, Thanks. I hope my questions were taken in the right spirit which was about my curiosity about how each circuit or mod comes about. I have two Zeniths and love them. I also bought a Klon many years ago when Bill Finnegan made them at a very affordable price. I will say that the 2 MKCs I've built do an incredible side by side with the real thing so hats off. Again, thanks for the response.
--
July 14, 2015 at 9:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

playsforfun

Well now doesn't THAT make the light bulb come on?

--

FriendsFun, Learning, Tricks, Galleries and Shopping. That's why I love it here.

July 15, 2015 at 5:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

hank
Absolutely going to have to check that circuit out! Read the article and the blended approach sounds very interesting!
--
July 15, 2015 at 10:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

hank

For those who have never seen a pedal circuit that has been, as Barry describes above, "Gooped", here you go. I shouldn't have to mention any names......

--
July 15, 2015 at 11:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Barry
Site Owner

Thought I would get back on track and clean this thread up a bit.

Thanks for the gut shot of the Klon and yes that is goop!

July 15, 2015 at 11:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Wilkie1

Hank is absolutely correct!  The Silver Jubilee distortion circuit is a solid state design as found in the original Marshall amp.  I built a Ceriatone 2555 amp that uses the same Marshall design.  I took that distortion circuit and used it with the Zenith Pro as a MOD.  So, even tube amps like Marshalls may use solid state circuits to add distortion.  I have no knowledge of Dumbles, though. 

--

I just LOVE Wires and Sparks!

July 17, 2015 at 5:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

hank
Wilkie, Thanks. I'll have to build both the Silver Jubilee and Dumble mod's. When I do, I'll report back with what I'm certain will be praise as with all the GPCB circuits and variations I've tried!
--
July 17, 2015 at 10:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Robert Witmeyer

Silicon valley is clearly gear-spoiled.  Some 20 year old kid brought by a real Klon for me to A/B with Barry's MKC pedal.  Barry's board is more versatile if you use the right components and add the mods.  

Another dude owns multiple dumbles- trying to get him to let me borrow and A/B for a video.  Will post videos if/when I shoot them.

--
August 9, 2015 at 1:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

GardensTale
Hi, I don't wan't to start a new thread, so I hope it's okay when I ask my question here. I just finished the Standard Zenith Pro. I very like the charactristic of this pedal and I don't wanna use the "transparent" mod, but I want a little bit more a kind of SRV tone, maybe a little bit more "definition/punch/directness"...maybe like the Lovepedal Super Six. If that is possible, what would be a good point to start with changes? with best regards
September 27, 2016 at 10:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Barry
Site Owner

This would be my suggestion for you as opposed to modding the circuit board itself. 

Add a Stage 3 Booster in series between the output of the main board and the output Jack.

The Mini version is only 1" square and will barely take up any room.  This will also accomplish a very well known Stevie Ray Vaughan trick by using a pair of tube screamers with one set to clean and one set to dirty and running them in tandem  into his amp rig finally. The Stage 3 will act as your clean boost to run in tandem with the zenith. 

Tandem would be key based on what you said you were looking for plus I really can't see how you could possibly go wrong. 

That all being said it should kick some serious butt in most cases depending on amplifier, guitar, pickups, pedal order and some other "rig"  associated items.  Most people here will agree as the Stage 3 has been my number one selling board since GuitarPCB started over seven years ago. 

September 27, 2016 at 5:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.