GuitarPCB.com

Guitar Pedal Projects. Top 5 in DIY With Forum Support!

Forums

Forum Home > Layout Gallery - GuitarPCB Build Documents, Mods and Tips > Buff N Blend - Powerful Utility Tool

Barry
Site Owner

Available Now! - Buff N Blend

Thanks to Bruce R. for putting a master GuitarPCB touch on an idea from J.Purkis.

This is probably one of the most powerful utility tools we are going to be offering soon, but I want to make sure people are understanding it before I release it.

Have a look at the Buff N Blend:

As you can see, this is a direct drop in replacement for any foot switch in any pedal.

• (3) - 9 volt Pads for Combo builds - Check!
  • Plenty of Ground Pads - Check!
  • Adjustable buffer with a flat frequency response to suit any circuit - Check!
  • Choice of BiColor or Standard LED - Check!
  • Small footprint to fit easily into a 1590B replacing a standard foot switch - Check!

Easy wiring diagram and small parts count:

Ok, now that we got that out of the way, I want to make sure people are with me on this.

Aside from the obvious Bass Guitar applications that would allow you to blend clean Bass frequencies back into your sound, one might ask as a 6 string Guitarist "Why would I want to add clean tones back into my sound after already distorting them?"

There are many scenarios why you would want to do this. Lets skip modulation for now.

Here's a few reasons the Buff N Blend can give you Tonal Superiority

• Great definition and thickness
  • More complexity to your final mix
  • Add more amp like tones to thinner sounding pedals
  • By never fully clipping your waveform you can now stack multiple pedals - Oh Yeah!
  • By blending and stacking, create huge sounding riffs simulating two separate amps
  • Great for solo guitarists by filling out your sound with complex tones

Modulation:

In regards to modulation, did you ever have a Phaser, Flanger, Delay or Chorus that was either too dominant or brittle sounding? Now you can add any degree of clean tone by blending in the natural warmth of your amplifier.

You can even subdue an over active circuit with just a twist of a knob!

Finally and I assure you by sheer coincidence the latest issue of Tone Report Magazine Issue #83 did a full report on all the latest commercial pedals using this same technology. Quite convenient timing for me as well! Please read pages 10- 14 for their complete review.

How is everybody feeling about this now?

I'd like to know I have some people on-board with me (pun intended)  ;)

Feel free to leave any comments below.

July 16, 2015 at 12:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Barry
Site Owner

Please note that when you mix and blend using drive or fuzz pedals you do not necessarily need to use a completely clean amp tone when blending.

I just wanted to make that clear but you should experiment, I am currently involved in experimental nirvana at the moment.

Right now I am experimenting with my amps tube drive channel and blending a "Secret Pedal" up and coming. It literally sounds like I have two amps at the same time despite being Mono. The possibilities!!  8)

I have also tried this with my Mastadon Fuzz and Passive Bass and the Mastadon was always just a bit too much Fuzz for me as I was looking for that Grand Funk "Red Album" sort of tone. Well I found it and could never have achieved it with the pedal alone! Watch this short video to see exactly what I was after: Got This Thing On The Move

Comments welcome.

I believe this will take some of your builds to the next level & compete with the big boys!

July 16, 2015 at 10:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

KubickiNut

OOOOOhhhhhh.....I've already got 10 ideas brewing where I could use this circuit.  

Barry - you are spot on with the modulation comments.  I use a blend circuit EVERY time I use Bass with a chorus pedal.  It gives me REALLY thick bottom end with the shimmer and depth of a chorus.  If you want an example of what I'm talking about check out Roscoe Beck's bass solo on "Zap" by Eric Johnson on the G3 Live album.  KILLER bass tone with a hint of chorus.

Of course - not the only implementation, but a very powerful one!

--

Check out my builds, projects, and other electronic shenanigans at www.jgpedals.com

July 16, 2015 at 4:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Barry
Site Owner

Thanks Kubikinut!!

In an effort to offer some more insight into this idea besides just words I did a short Demo with two different guitars for you. Please Enjoy!

This is just Demo #1 in a series. More will follow.

You need Adobe Flash Player to view this content.

I hope this helps get the dual drive and clean amp tones in parallel concept across. Remember it always sounds a whole lot better through an Amplifier than it does computer speakers!  ;)

Comments appreciated.

July 16, 2015 at 9:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

galaxiex

WOW! This is great!!! I gotta get me some of those boards!

--

Mad Russian Pilot

July 16, 2015 at 10:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

KubickiNut

Demo sounds sweet Barry - LOVE that you can blend in that nice clean "spank" with the natural compression that a dirt pedal gives you.  Very 3 dimmensional sounding.  

--

Check out my builds, projects, and other electronic shenanigans at www.jgpedals.com

July 17, 2015 at 9:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Barry
Site Owner

Thanks guys and I will have a few more videos coming up to cover some more ground.

In the meantime I encourage everybody to thoroughly read through the materials above.

This is the kind of stuff that will take your builds to Pro levels.

July 17, 2015 at 9:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

hank
Looking forward to grabbing a couple of the boards for my next builds!
--
July 17, 2015 at 10:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Billy

Another great very useful tool in the pedal builders toolbox

This is gonna be a another fantastic addidton to the shop I'm looking forward to messing with it.

July 18, 2015 at 3:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Barry
Site Owner

Regarding Phase:

The Buff N Blend circuit splits the original signal into two paths. The path through a Send and Return loop permit the injection of 1 or more external effects. When these two paths are recombined at the Blend pot a difference in phase, phase cancellations "may" result. If the effect results in a change in phase then the resulting output may exhibit phase cancellation, which in some cases may be a preferred result. If not, there are ways around this.

There is much information to help answer “Phase” questions. This discussion thread is for the Buff N’ Blend. There is this thread by Tonmann discussing phase in detail and determining whether your circuit is inverts the phase or not.

A vast majority of popular circuits do not invert the phase. For more information read below.

Here is a link that lists pedals that invert the phase. You may wish to avoid these types of circuits and their work-a-likes.

For pedals that do invert the phase, but you still want to use a Buff N Blend:

Since the Stage 3 circuit inverts a signal, you might add a Stage 3 in the effects loop of the Buff N’ Blend! That will change an inverting pedal signal back to a non-inverting signal when returning to the Buff N’ Blend. Or add any other inverting effect to the loop. Two inverting effects equal one non-inverting signal.

We also have available the Paramix which you can read much more about Here.

Everybody should have one! Never worry about phase issues among many features.

July 18, 2015 at 10:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Barry
Site Owner

Official release boards will look like this, (Note (3) +9v pads and grouping of ground pads for easy "Combo Builds")

August 3, 2015 at 3:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Barry
Site Owner

Buff N' Blend is now available in the PCB Shop.

Here is a guitar demo:

Here is a Bass demo:

Remember especially with a Bass Demo, you will need more than and iPad or iPhone speakers to hear all the Bass frenquencies. So watch with the best sound system you got and turn it up!!

August 7, 2015 at 12:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

jrallman

So, if I wanted to add a tone control to the clean signal but not the effect, so that I could say, for example, blend in just some of the low tones of a bass instead of the full range signal, would that be possible?

--

Unplug it, blow on the plug, plug it in, and try again!

August 12, 2015 at 3:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Barry
Site Owner

"So, if I wanted to add a tone control to the clean signal but not the effect, so that I could say, for example, blend in just some of the low tones of a bass instead of the full range signal, would that be possible?"

Courtesy of Tonmann:

Here's a clean signal only tone circuit that you might like to try:

By removing R7 from the circuit board and inserting the circuit above you can add a low pass shelving filter for the clean signal.

The first diagram uses an external pot and the second diagram uses a trim pot with a switch.

At 0% rotation (or with the switch in the ON position for the trim pot version) the frequency response is flat as the pot is rotated high frequencies are cut.

I would suggest keeping the values of the resistor and pot as shown above and socketing the capacitors so that you can tune the circuit as you wish;  try dropping CA to 4n7 and then CB to 47n if you don't like the 10n / 100n combination.

Using a small piece of vero board will certainly make construction easy (no cuts and one jumper on each board):

I've done this mod from a theoretical point of view and haven't actually built one so feedback from any one making this mod would be apprecitated.

August 15, 2015 at 2:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Billy

Righto Barry I'm a wee bit dim what do you mean by this:

By never fully clipping your waveform you can now stack multiple pedals - stack pedals, pedal stack? wassat?

Cheers

August 16, 2015 at 9:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Barry
Site Owner

Billy at August 16, 2015 at 9:04 PM

Righto Barry I'm a wee bit dim what do you mean by this:

By never fully clipping your waveform you can now stack multiple pedals - stack pedals, pedal stack? wassat?

Cheers

Stacking pedals is using more than one pedal simultaneously, or use multiple pedals in tandem.

So using a Buff N Blend on more than one circuit in tandem has additional benefits.

September 7, 2015 at 11:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Giglawyer

I am going to find a rooftop to shout off of to sing the praises of the Buff-n-Blend.  

I just finished building an Animato (Big Muff Variant made popular by the Bass player from Muse).  The pedal is wicked.  Sick.  And legendary for low-end loss.  

That is until now.  

The Buff-n-Blend completely cured the Animato.  It is now a bass friendly fuzz machine.  I am wholly impressed.

I will post build pics when it is all boxed up this weekend.  Let me just say that ANY pedal is now capable of being Bass-friendly.

May 13, 2016 at 12:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Barry
Site Owner

That above ^^ is what I like to hear! People catching on!!  :)  8)

Looking forward to your "Show Off" Build with full details.

May 13, 2016 at 12:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Clark GriswoId
Blend is a 50k Log pot? Just making sure.
December 12, 2016 at 6:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

trom72
That's it, as written in the build document.
--

Addicted to pedal building!!!

December 12, 2016 at 6:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

This topic is closed, no additional posts are allowed.