GuitarPCB.com

Guitar Pedal Projects. Top 5 in DIY With Forum Support!

Forums

Forum Home > Tips, Tricks and Tutorials! - Builder's Guides for GuitarPCB Boards! > Sticky: Germanium Diode Tutorial - Real or Not?

Barry
Site Owner

This is a general tutorial to aid with questions and concerns of purchasing Germanium Diodes online. Again there are a lot of opinions and facts available on the internet and I suggest doing your own research however there is a simple "heat test" you can do to help determine what you have.

Lastly remember NOS Germanium diodes are getting hard to find and there really is no such thing as cheap Germanium. I will be carrying tested NOS 1980's Germanium Diodes soon in my PCB Shop (I have lots of testing to do) and I already have Ranegemaster, Fuzz Face and Tonebender Germanium transistor sets available of course.

I hope you enjoy the video below:

You need Adobe Flash Player to view this content.

If you cannot see the video above here is the direct link:

http://youtu.be/HR-OXRm-r9g

Feel free to discuss but please note I will not be drawn into any debates as there is plenty of information on the internet for you to pick, choose and decide for yourself. My purpose is to share a few of these ideas and a little knowledge.

While watching the video you may also wish to examine the pictures below:

You can visually see the difference between Silicon clipping and Germanium clipping.

Silicon

Germanium

November 12, 2015 at 11:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

hank
Good video and I'm standing ready to place my order!!
--
November 13, 2015 at 12:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

desmondtencents

Haven't watched the video yet but those two O-scope shots really do paint the picture for you.

Thanks again for going the extra mile helping to educate all of us Barry!

November 13, 2015 at 1:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tranimatronic

thank you so much for taking the time to make this Barry. Awesome info

November 13, 2015 at 5:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Barry
Site Owner

Thank you for the thank you's!  :)

November 15, 2015 at 1:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Barry
Site Owner

Lots of testing going on, coming soon.

November 17, 2015 at 1:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Giglawyer

Barry:  Are these Russian D9E's or something else?  Or is that a secret of some sort?  

--

Call on God, but row away from the rocks.

January 15, 2016 at 6:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Barry
Site Owner

Giglawyer at January 15, 2016 at 6:48 PM

Barry:  Are these Russian D9E's or something else?  Or is that a secret of some sort?  

There are many letter names and it is not a secret.

The key is that even in a batch of NOS from the 80's I have to throw out 50% of them that do not pass the heat test. That is what hurts since I am guessing that over such a long time, storage, handling etc... the numbers of good ones out of Real NOS ones widely vary.

If there is a secret it is in testing each and every one by hand with proper testing equipment.

I only sell the ones that pass and a lot end up in the garbage. 50% is a rough guess as it can be 30% or 70% bad. It all depends on the conditions and handling over the last 35 years the NOS DIODES have been put through.

I do not think the letter matters as much as the fact that it has to be NOS and working.

January 15, 2016 at 7:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Giglawyer

Gotcha.

--

Call on God, but row away from the rocks.

January 16, 2016 at 9:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Barry

I'm doing something wrong or is the band on the wrong end of these? Reversed bias maybe?

--

Barry, no not "The Barry"

July 10, 2017 at 9:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.