GuitarPCB.com

Guitar Pedal Projects. Top 5 in DIY With Forum Support!

Forums

Forum Home > Layout Gallery - GuitarPCB Build Documents, Mods and Tips > Photon Phuzz - Dedicated to Jimi Photon

Barry
Site Owner

I think it was Alfred E. Neuman (of Mad Magazine fame), that once said “You can never have enough fuzz pedals on your boards.” Just when you thought you had a good fuzz in your gear, along comes another one that we a calling a “MUST HAVE!” From the creative genius of the great PINKJIMIPHOTON, a renowned master of the fuzz, GUITARPCB has collaborated to offer the PHOTON PHUZZ.

Build Document

If you really want to make this circuit scream with harmonic overtones put a Treble Booster or our P.U.RP. aka; Pump'd Up RangeMaster Plus in front of it. Use you r guitar volume for a plethora of unique tones.

Watch the Video Demo by Jimi himself:

You need Adobe Flash Player to view this content.

Recommended accessories:

1. Barry's Famous Pot Condoms™ .

2. 3PDT Wiring Boards .

3. Barry's Best Pedal Hookup Wire.

4. DPDT Wiring Boards - Perfect for Mods

5. DC Power Jacks 2.1mm

6. Common Anode LED (Optional to Standard LED)

7. Plastic Bezels for Common Anode LEDs

8. Pot Condoms for mounting in tight quarters over potentiometers

9. GPCB Secure Mounts - For mounting with room to spare

If you wire on-board 9mm pots on the back as in the example below the small amount of depth of the 9mm pots will pull the board down extremely close to the enclosure allowing plenty of room for the components to stick up and show themselves just as a car show would open their hood to show off the engine and not the floor board.

Hand wiring of course is always an option.

If mounted in this fashion as I have done there is plenty of room for the pots, loaded board and will fit into a 1590A if so desired and the pots will be in the correct orientation.

I want this to be clear since this was meant to be this way.

Additionally when mounted in this fashion the board IN / OUT and ground pads are conveniently located right next to the appropriate In/Out Jacks for short easy wiring.

See Photo Below in an effort to make it clear showing you have plenty of space even in a 1590A pictured below once mounted in the enclosure the way it was intended leaving plenty of room for components, In /Out pads conveniently located to corresponding jacks, you're visually able to see the component side of the board when opening the pedal as well as plenty of room for components that stand up higher like Transistors and Electrolytics and still have room to spare while maintaining the the correct pot orientation.

1590A used below for absolute minimum comparison regarding available room.

In planning if you wanted even more room between board and jacks you could easily solder the potentiometer leads to the very end of the on-board pads and easily fold the board up closer to the actual knobs however that was not necessary in my tests.

I do understand everybody has different mounting preferences so there are no real right or wrongs however I did want to point out that the above scenario was our intention and does work with room to spare for Components, Jacks and Footswitch with a little pre-planning while maintaining the proper rotation orientation of the potentiometers.

February 27, 2018 at 12:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

This topic is closed, no additional posts are allowed.