GuitarPCB.com

Guitar Pedal Projects. Top 5 in DIY With Forum Support!

Forums

Forum Home > Show Your Finished Pedal. > My First MoWah...

KubickiNut

Well ladies and gentlemen, I thought Barry already had a solid stable of circuits that was complete.  I was wrong - the MoWah is an ESSENTIAL circuit for any builder up to the challenge.  It is definitely not an easy build, but was not super difficult.  Difficulty can be attributed to the sheer number of options available and the tweaking that is required to dial in the tone.  BUT once it is dialed in - HOLY COW!  What a great sounding wah.  I have played my share ranging from Vox, old/new crybaby, and even some of the obscure brands like snarling dogs back in the day.  I can say without batting an eye, that this is the best sounding wah out there.  Here is a gut shot of my latest build.  I salvaged a wah shell, hot potz wah pot, DPDT footswitch, and Fasel Red inductor from a trashed slash/crybaby wah.  (saving me a significant amount of money on the build).  The pic doesnt show them, but I went with MPF102 for Q1/Q4, and BC108s for Q2/Q3 - I found MPSA18s to be a bit too aggressive.  I am sure I will be experimenting with this as time passes, but all I can say is WOW - well done Tonmann/Barry on an excellent circuit!

The great thing about this circuit is UNLIKE a stock dunlop crybaby, it has a personality of its own.  It does not require a fuzz  or OD behind it to sound good.  In fact I played it just through my slightly overdriven clean channel (natural OD) for about 30 minutes without kicking anything else.  But it ALSO sounds amazing with a Fuzz (I tried the American Fuzz and the DSOTM Fuzz - both KILLER).  I also broke out my trusty Aeon (still on the version 1 board BTW) and it was equally as impressive.  I was able to dial in everything from Jimi to Slash, and even a smidge of the more modern Mark Tremonti sound.  VERY killer circuit - so good in fact I ordered another one!  Anyway, I hope this encourages you to try one if you havent yet!

--

Check out my builds, projects, and other electronic shenanigans at www.jgpedals.com

December 31, 2012 at 5:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Schectadon
Wow very nice.
--

Burning solder at both ends.

December 31, 2012 at 6:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Barry
Site Owner

Finally! I have been patiently waiting for people to start building these!

This is a project close to my heart as I am a huge Wah fan and Tonmann was the answer to making my wishes come true with this design!  :)

Thank You for posting!

Spread the word!

December 31, 2012 at 11:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

draehn

At the latest count, I'll need at least three old broken Wah shells......

Great job K N !

--

(o\  !  /o)

December 31, 2012 at 11:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bruce R

Great job! I like the red. Looks fantastic. Sounds great too, doesn't it? Definitely a rewarding build.

I'll have to get my fabricated version ready and post pictures. I did the "beta" etched version, which I love, but I want to get the fabricated one done as well.

--

Please visit PedalPartsAndKits.com if you want a GuitarPCB kit in the USA!

January 1, 2013 at 12:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

KubickiNut

Thanks all.  Tonmann really hit the nail on the head with this circuit.  Tone, tweakability, compact, and clean.  I can't say enough about how much I really enjoyed this project, start to finish.  I have been collecting old wah shells on eBay and the like in anticipation of this circuit coming out.  So I'm set for at least two more wah projects!

My favorite option was definitely the C8/C9 tweaks.  I used his suggested values as a starting point, but found that I liked the lower value at .01uF and the high value at .22uF.  In "dark" mode it is very Jerry Cantrel-esque.  For reference it NAILED the Man in the Box wah tone (with a smidge of distortion added of course).  I also found dark mode to be very nice with a clean wah (no OD/Dist).  In "bright" mode, it served up a very usable "nasal" tone that was not too obnoxious, but just enough to get that raccous howl.  

I know it sounds like I am blabbering, but this thing really does wail.  Nicely done to all involved in the circuit design/layout.  This is definitely one that I can forsee having to build for a few guitar friends after they hear it and BEG me for one...

--

Check out my builds, projects, and other electronic shenanigans at www.jgpedals.com

January 1, 2013 at 10:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Barry
Site Owner

I am a fan of all things wah which includes Cantrell among many.

I could go on by saying Jimmy Page, Hendrix, Clapton, Harrison, Slash, Thin Lizzy, Cantrell, Dimebag etc.. etc.. I might be showing my age here but it is really just a love of the circuit. It may be why I also love Miles Davis?

At any rate this MoWah allows me to tweak the Wah as Kubickinut describes above to hit any one of those tones, not to mention being able to achieve multiple tones in a single pedal.

@ Kubickinut: If you would care to do a little Bulletpoint description of your mod ideas accompanied with your impression of their sound as well as any other interesting points I would be glad to add the to the Layout Galery page for all to enjoy.

This may help some newbie builders achieve their desired goals a little quicker perhaps?

January 1, 2013 at 11:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

twittry

Great report! 

Did you spend much time tweeking TR1?   Any idea what the effective TR1+R9 resistance you liked the best?

Did you have to change any of the bias resistors to make the BC108s stay clean?

January 3, 2013 at 5:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

KubickiNut

Ooops, Sorry twittry, never saw the question.  I did spend a fair amount of time tweaking TR1 - the reason being, since there are basically four modes - based on which way SW1 and SW2 are set, I found TR1 very dependent on the switch settings.  Took me a while to get to a setting that sounded good for all 4 modes.  TR1 was roughly at 35% rotation (a rough estimate of course), but depending on the mode, 35-50% was the best sounding to me.

I did not have to tweak the bias resistors at all - it actually just kind of happened by mistake, BC108s happened to be the closest to me when I finished the build and I wanted to test real quick.  Turns out they sounded REALLY good in this build.  See below for some more commentary though - Suffice to say, BC109s tend to be TOO aggressive for this circuit...

So this is the 2nd MoWah I have built now, and I decided to try a few things differently.  You will notice if you look close enough that I built this with lacquered cloth, solid core wiring.  This is really WAY overkill for this build, but I was able to salvage some from an old Zenith radio, so I figured I would add some MOJO to the build.  The wiring looks scummy because as you heat the wire, the lacquer melts/burns and depending on the color, it makes it look funny.  

First off,  I found BC109s to be WAY too aggressive in the stock circuit.  I figured this might be the case, but I am out of similar BC108s that I used in the last build.  About midway through the sweep it had some intense distortion that kinda sounded cool, but not what I am looking for.  I will either be ordering some more BC108s or trying a different transistor type.  I would like to not have to re-bias if possible, but if it comes down to that - so be it.  I have one BC108 laying around and I may try BC108 in Q1 and BC109 in Q2 to see if that helps.  Not that I am against 2N5088s or MPSA18s, but the old school metal cans sure look cool!  Anyway, with this build I am going to be trying some new experiments, so as I find things I will try and update the post so all can share!

--

January 13, 2013 at 11:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

agitprop

Barry at December 31, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Finally! I have been patiently waiting for people to start building these!

This is a project close to my heart as I am a huge Wah fan and Tonmann was the answer to making my wishes come true with this design!  :)

Thank You for posting!

Spread the word!

I haven't attempted a Wah yet, but you guys are so effusive about the MoWah, I am going to give it a shot.

I love Wah pedals, particularly a Jen Super Crybaby from the '70s and an original Dick Denney Colorsound Wah I have.  Would be great to build my own!

February 3, 2013 at 2:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Flux Jetson

Just ordered two pcbs ... should be fun to build.  I'm planning on putting at least one of them in a regular stompbox type enclosure for a "band pass filter" type effect.

I already have a full-on Keeley CB and a Zak Wylde CB.  I love using them as ~filters~ rather than conventional wahs.

Nice work, OP!

February 22, 2013 at 11:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Barry
Site Owner

Flux Jetson at February 22, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Just ordered two pcbs ... should be fun to build.  I'm planning on putting at least one of them in a regular stompbox type enclosure for a "band pass filter" type effect.

I already have a full-on Keeley CB and a Zak Wylde CB.  I love using them as ~filters~ rather than conventional wahs.

Nice work, OP!

Then you will love our Dual Voice Filter project coming soon.

February 23, 2013 at 12:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Flux Jetson

Barry at February 23, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Flux Jetson at February 22, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Nice work, OP!

Then you will love our Dual Voice Filter project coming soon.

Sounds like fun!

February 23, 2013 at 12:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Barry
Site Owner

Keep these MoWahs coming folks and Kubicknut if you would like to throw an opinion report together of different Mods let me know.

These boards are so moddable and can surely suit anyone's taste.

The great part though is that sound fantastic stock, but the fun for many is too see what works for you from there.

February 23, 2013 at 11:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

KubickiNut

Sure thing Barry.  I'm working on finishing some mods on the 2nd build to round out my post.  It has been a long time coming, but hopefully in the next week or so I'll have something for you.  Do you want a new post?  Or would you rather a document to attach to the build docs?

--

February 23, 2013 at 3:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Barry
Site Owner

I would like a new post that I could also attach the pertinent parts to the Layout Gallery as well.

Thanks for doing that!  :)

February 23, 2013 at 3:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

KubickiNut

Here is a link to a picture that shows the back of a Hot Potz Package for installation instructions.  

So if you install it as shown in the picture, the lugs will look like a "triangle" with the peak pointing down (SL).  Then comparing to conventional pot wiring - the CCW lug corresponds to lug 1 and the CW lug corresponds to lug 3 on a standard pot.  Hope that helps.  If you google "Hot Potz wiring" there are a bunch of pics and threads from various forums on wiring diagrams.

--

February 26, 2013 at 7:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Barry
Site Owner

Use some Flux!

February 26, 2013 at 8:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

KubickiNut

+1 to Barry - those lugs are hard to solder too...

--

February 26, 2013 at 9:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Fight

I built the MoWah and it`s really a great sounding wah. I used some NOS BC107s and did all the mods. But after playing a while i perceived that the gain is on maximum when the pedal is completly at bass end. The pot (Hot Potz II) is working fine like the frequencies are getting higher the more the pedal is treadled down. But the gain is reversed in my perception like it decreases the more the pedal is engaged. And so it`s cleanest when the pedal is fully treadled down. Is this normal or could something be wrong with pot wiring? Maybe switched lugs 1 and 3? Thanks for any advise

April 9, 2015 at 7:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.